Thursday, August 14, 2014

Thursday Thoughts: Interview with Kenneth Hoss, author of the Kelli Storm series

This week, I am privileged to have the chance to chat with Kenneth Hoss, author of the highly successful Kelli Storm series, Book 4, Eye of the Storm which releases on the 16th.

Author's Synopsis:  
The body of a Russian prostitute is dumped in a Washington Heights park and Detectives Kelli Storm and Eric Ryder are called to the scene. A note found on the woman’s body containing her name and that of a former Russian mobster leads Kelli to an old nemesis.

When they confront a Russian Diplomat and the Russian Brotherhood with little success, they seek the help of an FBI contact who aids them in finding a connection between the Diplomat and a corrupt FSB Agent, and uncover a criminal conspiracy between a dangerous Mexican cartel and a notorious New York crime family.

As Kelli peels away the layers of death and corruption, she soon finds herself targeted by these organizations, all wanting to eliminate the threat to themselves and their livelihoods.

~~~~~
Please welcome, Kenneth Hoss to the Grove.

Storyteller’s Grove: So, Ken, tell us about yourself and what brought you to writing?
Kenneth Hoss: Well, I’m in my late 50’s and single. My day job, when I’m working, is in the IT field as an analyst. Right now I’m taking time off after working a contract for the past two years. I must say, it is nice not to have to get up in the morning and run out the door.
I started writing back in High School; I had a lot of stories in my head, and needed to get them out. Back then I read mostly Science Fiction; Heinlein, Bradbury, Asimov and the like. Of course, it was all done with pen and paper back then, no computers and my parents wouldn’t get me a typewriter. (Yes, we had already moved on from stone tablets, even though the dinosaurs were still rambling through the neighborhood.)
I continued my writing while in the Navy and wrote a Fantasy novel based on a world I created for Dungeons and Dragons. (Yes, I did play the game and even became a Grand Dungeon Master. Big nerd.) The book never got published as I was naïve enough to believe in a publisher who was just a bit unscrupulous and informed me after I sent my entire MS that they never received it. With no backup copy, (still no computer), I was sunk. Suffice to say that I learned my lesson. I stopped writing for a while; several years in fact, until an old High School girlfriend gave me a push.
After several “bad” starts, Kelli came along and rest is history.

SG: Share with our readers a little about your book.
KH: Kelli Storm is back for another book. This time the stakes are even higher when she and her partner, Eric Ryder, uncover a major criminal enterprise involving a Russian Diplomat, a corrupt FSB Major, a dangerous Mexican cartel and one of New York’s deadliest crime families.

SG: What made you choose to self-publish your book?
KH: After trying the traditional route with the first book, and getting no results, I began looking for alternatives. Of course with my previous bad experience with vanity presses, I avoided that route. When a friend and fellow author told me about Smashwords, I looked into it and once I had checked all of the fine print, which there was none really, I published Storm Rising.

SG: Now for the fun questions... let's start with... What’s your sign? How do you think it effects your writing?
KH: I don’t believe in astrology, but I am a Pisces and I don’t think it effects my writing at all.

SG: What do you love about writing? Hate?
KH: A good question. I love writing because it lets me get the stories out of my head. It can get annoying when your MC keeps nagging at you. What I hate most is editing and writing the synopsis, trying to condense an entire book into a few short paragraphs.


SG: Are you more of a hunter or a gather?
KH: Tough one. I suppose I’m a little of both. I’m always hunting for a good deal, and I love going to the grocery store or local farmers market.

SG: Do you believe in Bigfoot?
KH: Sure, I’ve even seen a “Bigfoot” type creature in my area, when I was camping at a local lake. I believe it was named the Fouk Monster, as it was originally discovered in Fouk, Arkansas. I also believe in UFO’s.

SG: If you were on an island and could only bring 3 things, what would you bring?
KH: Books, lots of wine, and a camping stove.

SG: If you were 80 years old, what would you tell your children?
KH: “Don’t make the mistakes in your lives that I’ve made in mine.”


Thank you for joining us and giving your readers and ours a glimpse into the workings of your mind.
If you have not read the excerpt posted last week, you can read it by clicking HERE.

To read any or all of the first three novels go to Mr. Hoss' Amazon Page and watch for the upcoming release of Eye of the Storm on August 16th.




No comments:

Post a Comment