Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My Life is A List

So this blog will probably sound like my life right now—stream of consciousness.  I started making a list of things to do.  I like lists.  I figured I’d begin with large categories and then break it down to specific tasks within those categories (anal, huh.)

So I started with: family, work (as in day job), writing and publishing. 

So under family, I have more chores, you know the fun stuff like laundry, and the biggie, my daughter’s graduation party.  The party is three weeks away and, well, sooooooo not ready. I think my hubby needs to be on the list as I have to be reminded to give him some TLC. Lets not forget the kids, the father and assorted aunts, uncles, cousins and in-laws.  I think I still have friends.

Work, well that stinks and I really need to actively look for another option.  I know the job market is tough but no one should dislike going to work every day and not try to change their circumstances. So job hunting should be on the list.

Writing: I have Dark Dealings out to my beta readers and am starting to get comments back.  I will need to review those comments and make corrections and changes, as needed.

I have found that my fledgling blog site gets better traffic if I post three times a week .  Daily would require giving up certain activities like bathing-bad idea.

I have three projects in various stages.  I also would like to try my hand at short stories that could be publishable and erotica (under another name) because it would be fun.

I must also continue to refine my writing skills, because I am anal (see above) and expect nothing less than the best from myself.

Publishing:  First of all, I continue to be on the fence about traditional publishing and indie/self publishing.  I over-analyze a lot of things (see this post), so not only do I weigh the pros and cons of each, but I also question my own motivations (control freak, impatient).  At some point soon, I know I need to fish or cut bait.

Regardless of which route I choose, I have to “build my platform” that means finding ways to reach out to future readers and introduce them to me and my work.  It also means attending conferences and getting involved in writers groups, which also falls under the writing category as refining.

And I need to start working out again and lose 15 pounds and read the pile of books in my office and on my Kindle.

Most of all I need to make a plan to stop making myself crazy or at least give up sleep.


So how’s your day going?

4 comments:

  1. Hey, your life sounds a lot like mine. Except you're way more organized. I need to look into lists...
    At least that will give me something to do while I procrastinate.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. S.B
    Lists and twitter a procrastinators dream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of those posts that just make me feel so much better about the madness that is my own life! I've never been a "lister" until recently (stubborn I guess), and it's made all the difference. I still get frustrated when the list starts to look more like a catalog of all the stuff I didn't get around too, but hey, it's a work in progress (as am I!).

    Triple ranked post! Funny, interesting, and cool:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Barbara. I try to have a specific to-do list everyday. You know,important things like: walk the dog, feed the kids. If I get through half the list I feel good. :-)

    ReplyDelete