Friday, June 24, 2011

Falling Forward: Denzel Washington

I am an alumnae of The University of Pennsylvania, a fact of which I expect they will one day be proud to admit. My daughter recently graduated from Villanova University, a fact of which we are proud to proclaim from the highest treetop, much to her embarrassment.

I was preparing a post on how graduation parties are like novel writing when I became aware the Denzel Washington was the commencement speaker this year at my Alma Mater.  I pulled up the YouTube of his speech and watched it.  I attach it here because it inspired me as a writer and I hope it will inspire you.  As you experience rejections, bad reviews or endless questions from family and friends about when you are going to publish that book, take his word to heart. Denzel also quoted Nelson Mandela. This may become a sign over my desk:

There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.
Nelson Mandela 


Please click the link below, watch and be inspired.  Share your comments, feelings, thought below.


Commencement 2011 Univ of Penn

2 comments:

  1. Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a Penn grad, huh? I'm a Pitt girl, myself. Always nice to connect to someone within (or near and dear to) the Great Pennsyl.

    ReplyDelete