Thursday, September 6, 2012

Can Demon Save the World and Get the Girl?



I have just finished Life Cycle by Zoe Winters. It is Book 4 of her Preternaturals Series, and while reading the first three books would be equally pleasurable, it is not necessary.  I will warn you that once you read Life Cycle, you will want to devour everything she has written.
DESCRIPTION:

Immortality can be a bitch… 

Tamara has lived nearly two thousand years, trapped by a spell of her own creation. Hunted by her enemy and former lover, she knows there is only one man strong enough to release her from the curse. But will Cain honor her death wish, or keep her for himself, whatever the cost?

Two ancient souls. Two weary fighters, torn between love and hate, forced to decide if the other could be worth living for.

Heat Level 3 of 5.
Some sexually explicit content and innuendo.

EXCERPT:
***

“Are you sure this is how you want to engage with me, Tam? Do you know what my demons would have done to you if I hadn’t stopped them? They are very loyal. You don’t attack me here. Maybe in your silly human world, but not here.” He spoke without raising his voice at her. His tone was level. His eyes didn’t even glow, but they didn’t have to.

The energy ball faded and died in her hand. “You promised you’d kill me. Before you got to my house, I was going to come find you because I thought you’d do it.”

A look of surprise crossed his face, but he covered it. “And that promise still stands.” He moved toward her and stroked her cheek. “I will kill you when I tire of you. And there is nothing you can do about it. Throwing energy balls at me will only make me disinclined to put you out of your misery. Just enjoy the ride, sweetheart. You’ll die soon enough… when I get bored. Believe me, that’s never taken longer than a week. Surely you can struggle through a week of passion with me.”

Every fiber in her being screamed to kill him, not that she could. The second best option would be to seal him in a jar and bury it in the middle of his desert where no one would ever find it—an option she was considering.

“I’m not going to be your concubine.”

A smirk. “Of course you are. What other option do you have?”

Smug bastard.
***
In case my introduction didn’t tip you off, I loved this book. It is tightly written, the characters are well realized, and the plot flawless. I found no editing issues. No spoilers here. So even though I thought I knew how it would all end, I wanted to go along for the ride and experience it through the eyes of Tam and Cain. Zoe takes a Preternatural approach to the Jack the Ripper story with a light but deft hand that puts a paranormal twist to the story without over-reaching or over-doing the connection.  Jack, the antagonist is crazy and love stricken, which makes him even creepier. Cain is a doomed demon in more ways than one. Tam is smart and snarky and tough and tormented; all the things I love in a female character. The energy between Cain and Tam is fun and sexy.
I give it 5 triskeles!
    


***
Zoe Winters writes quirky and sometimes dark paranormal romance. Her favorite colors are rainbow and clear.
To receive updates on new releases from the author, send an email to: zoewintersbooks AT gmail DOT com with "Subscribe" in the subject line. Newsletters go out only when there is an actual new release or a big contest. Your inbox will not be cluttered, newsletters won't go out more frequently than once a month, and you may unsubscribe at any time.
You can visit the author at: http://www.zoewintersbook.com
Be sure also to visit http://www.theriantype.com for some fun supplemental material.




No comments:

Post a Comment